Week 8: The International System: Environmental Factors
Topics for Reports:
- Environmental Factors as Conditioners of Foreign Policy
- Man-Milieu Relationships: Mahan, Mackinder, Haushofer
- Sprout, Harold and Margaret: An Ecological Paradigm
- The Limits of Growth Thesis and Its Critics
- Post-Cold War Geopolitical Perspectives
- Choucri, Nazli and Robert North
- "Dynamics of International Conflict: Some Policy Implications of Population, Resources, and Technology," World Politics (1972)
- "Population, Technology and Resources in the Future International System," Journal of International Affairs, Vol. XXV, No. 2 (1971)
- Cohen, Saul B.
- "Geopolitics in the New World Era: A New Perspective on an Old Discipline"
- Demko, George J., and William B. Wood
- "Introduction: International Relations through the Prisms of Georgraphy
- Henrikson, Alan K.
- "The Power and Politics of Maps," in George J. Demko and William B. Wood (eds.) Reordering the World: Geopolitical Perspectives on the 21st Century (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1994), pp.3-71.
- Dougherty, James E. and Robert L. Pfaltzgraff, Jr.
- * Contending Theories of International Relations, Ch. 2
- Bowman, Isaiah
- Geography in Relation to the Social Sciences (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1934)
- Chamberlain, Neil W.
- Beyond Malthus: Population and Power (New York: Basic Books, 1970)
- Choucri, Nazli
- "Population, Resources and Technology: Political Implications of the Environmental Crisis," in David A. Kay and Eugene B. Skolnikoff, eds., World Eco-crisis: International Organizations in Response (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1972)
- Cohen, Saul B.
- Geography and Politics in a World Divided, 2nd ed. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1973)
- Dorpalen, Andreas
- The World of General Haushofer (New York: Farrar and Reinhart, 1942)
- Earle, Edward Meade, ed.
- Makers of Modern Strategy (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1943)
- Freeman, Christopher, Marie Jahoda, and K.L.R. Pavitt, eds.
- Models of Doom: A Critique of the Limits of Growth (New York: Universe Books, 1973)
- Gray, Colin S.
- Maritime Strategy, Geopolitics and the Defense of the West (New York: National Strategy Information Center, 1986)
- Gyorgy, Andrew
- Geopolitics: The New German Science (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1944)
- Hollick, Ann L. and Robert E. Osgood
- New Era of Ocean Politics (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1974)
- Huntington, Ellsworth
- Civilization and Climate (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1915)
- Jackson, W.A.D., et al.
- Politics and Geographic Relationships (Prentice-Hall, 1964)
- Johnston, R.J.
- Geography and the State: An Essay in Political Geography (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1982)
- Jugan, Arthur D.
- "Mackinder and His Critics Reconsidered," Journal of Politics (May 1962)
- Kay, David and Eugene Skolnikoff
- World Eco-Crises: International Organizations in Response (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1972)
- Kliot, Nurit and Stanley Waterman, eds.
- Pluralism and Political Geography: People, Territory and State (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1983)
- Mackinder, Halford J.
- "The Geographical Pivot of History," The Geographic Journal, XXXIII (April 1904)
- Democratic Ideals and Reality (New York: Henry Holt and Co., 1942)
- "The Round World and the Winning of Peace," Foreign Affairs, (July 1943)
- Distant Lands (London: George Philip and Sons, Ltd., 1910)
- Nations of the Modern World (London: G. Philip & Sons, Ltd., 1911)
- Mahan, Alfred Thayer
- The Interest of America in Sea Power (1897)
- The Interest of America in International Conditions (1910)
- The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783 (Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1890)
- Maddox, John R.
- The Doomsday Syndrome (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1972)
- Meadows, Donella H., et al.
- The Limits of Growth (New York: Union Books, 1972)
- Odel, Peter R.
- Oil and World Power: Background to the Oil Crisis (New York: Tapluigei Publishing Co., 1975)
- O'Sullivan, Patrick
- Geopolitics (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1986)
- Prescott, J.R.V.
- Political Geography (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1972)
- Sauvy, Alfred
- General Theory of Population (New York: Basic Books, 1969)
- Semple, Ellen C.
- Influence of Geographic Environment (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1911)
- Sprout, Harold and Margaret
- An Ecological Paradigm for the Study of International Politics (Princeton: Center for International Studies, Research Monography No. 30 (1968)
- Foundations of International Politics (Princeton: Van Nostrand, 1962)
- Man-milieu Relationship Hypotheses in the Context of International Politics (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1956)
- "Environmental Factors in the Study of International Politics," Journal of Conflict Resolution (1957)
- "Geopolitical Hypotheses in Technological Perspective," World Politics (January 1963)
- Toward a Politics of the Planet Earth (New York: Van Nostrand and Reinhold, 1971)
- Strausz-Hupe, Robert
- Geopolitics: The Struggle for Space and Power (New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1942)
The Balance of Tomorrow (New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1945)